More accurately, this is the Upstate NY foodie event of the weekend not called the Taste of Syracuse, which will draw tens of thousands of people to downtown Syracuse this Friday and Saturday with promises of $1 food samples, a qualifying heat for the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest and live music, including this year's headline act, Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
If you're planning on going to Taste of Syracuse, you already know about it. Chances are, you've been going there for years.
Instead, let's take a look at an unlikely source of good food and summer entertainment: The supermarket parking lot.
Price Chopper supermarkets in DeWitt, Binghamton, New Hartford, Latham, Chatham and Malta will all be hosting barbecues this Saturday, June 3, each benefiting that store's regional food bank.
- Chatham: Pulled pork sliders from O'Kenny's Express in Valatie. Perry's ice cream.
- Latham: Marinated chicken sandwiches from Wing-A-Lings in Cicero. PICS ice cream.
- Malta: Hofmann German franks. Perry's ice cream.
- Binghamton: Grilled sausage sandwiches from Lupo's in Endicott. Perry's ice cream.
- Syracuse: Grilled sausage sandwiches from Gianelli Sausage of North Syracuse. Byrne Dairy ice cream.
- New Hartford: Grilled sausage sandwiches from Dino's Sausage and Meat Co. of Utica. Byrne Dairy ice cream.
All the barbecues will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Donations of $1 are appreciated.
Proceeds from the Binghamton barbecue benefit the Food Bank of the Southern Tier, proceeds from the Syracuse and New Hartford barbecues benefit the Food Bank of Central New York and the Latham, Chatham and Malta barbecues benefit the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York.