A proper sugar cookie is buttery and tender, with just the right amount of sweetness. Unfortunately, sugar cookies are all too often bland afterthoughts to the icing piped upon them.
A bit of honey, almond and vanilla elevates these cookies to something you'd be happy to eat plain. We like our sugar cookies just the slightest bit under-baked, so they stay nice and soft. If you like your cookies with a bit more crunch, just add a minute or two and they'll be nicely golden brown.
Megan's Honey, Vanilla and Almond Sugar Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and lighter in color, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolk, salt, vanilla, almond and honey. Mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until dough forms a ball that is dry to the touch.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 15 minutes. Once chilled, roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut shapes and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes for soft, blond cookies. For golden brown cookies, bake 6 to 7 minutes.
- Let cookies rest on baking sheets for 2 to 3 minutes before transferring to a drying rack. Cool completely before decorating.